Skip to main content

Who's on my Ballot? 2020 Election Research for Jacksonville Beach Florida.

Here we go again! I'm against voting straight ticket as a matter of principle. I always research local candidates before I vote, and want to share my research here to make it easy for people in my community to research candidates too. This time around, I'm covering my ballot in my new town, Jacksonville Beach.

Image result for american gif


(Please note: The above GIF is the last fun thing your eyes will see on this post.)

This is not academic research.  Wikipedia is my favorite source for its ease of use and because it seems to be less biased in its reporting.  Some candidates aren't a big enough deal to have wikipedia pages, so I chose the first site I could find on them, sometimes their own candidacy site (not ideal, but hey).  Names will be linked to my sources.  I'm not going into great detail, but more taking notes for myself to remember what stood out to me about each candidate--this is definitely a biased perspective, and I encourage every voter to research for themselves and vote their conscience.  

Politically, I'm a left-leaning independent. If you are far left or far right, you probably won't like this, but you can use my usually unbiased links to do your own research and form your own conclusions.

In the first bullet point, I will summarize a general history of the candidate, and what I like about them.  In the second bullet point, I'll summarize what I don't like about them.

My presidential candidate selection summary will be the least research-based because I made my decision a LONG time ago.

The rest of the sections I will research and fill in over the next week or so.

Candidates on my Ballot

President and Vice President

My vote: I'm voting for the Biden/Harris ticket, and it has very little to do with politics. 

This election is not a 5 star restaurant. We aren't choosing between the Salmon and the Halibut. We're choosing between a value burger from Wendy's or McDonald's.

I believe Pres. Trump has eroded the moral fiber of our nation in (but not limited to) the following ways:

1. Inflammatory ad hominem attacks, rather than level headed dialogue
2. Breeding distrust in the media, and more broadly with anyone who disagrees with him.
3. Deepening divisions and distrust in our communities, by dehumanizing and otherizing democrats and anyone who disagrees with him. This is opposed to the more difficult and adult behavior of encouraging compromise, dialogue, mutual respect, and understanding (the foundation of a healthy democracy).
4. Regularly spouting made up information as fact, or blatantly lying.
5. Attacking peaceful protestors with tear gas and rubber bullets for a photo op.

Representative in Congress District 4

  • John H Rutherford (R) (Congress page of bills sponsored)
    • Incumbent since 2016. Former Duval Sherriff. Surfs. Degrees in criminology. Catholic. Married with 2 kids, but I didn't find any more info on wife.
      • Guns: Supported legislation to ban bump stocks. Has accepted NRA $upport. Supported STOP School Violence Act that provides money for increased training and security for schools.
      • Economy: Supports smaller government, balanced budget, ending corporate welfare. Opposes "federal regulatory overreach." Supported Tax Cuts and Jobs Act - reduced taxes on wealthy individuals and corporations and ended Obamacare individual mandate penalty. (Critics of this Act [including me] point to impact including higher budget deficit, higher trade deficit, greater income inequality, and lower healthcare coverage and higher healthcare costs.)
      • Social: Voted against Equality Act, an amendment to the Civil Rights Act that would extend protection against discrimination to LGBT individuals. Co-sponsor of H.R.8498, a Republican abortion-related bill I can't find more info on. Led initiative to name local VA Clinic after a black Veteran.
      • Environment: Opposes off-shore drilling in Atlantic
      • Weed: Voted against legalizing medical marijuana.
      • Crime: "Skeptical" of shorter prison sentences for nonviolent drug offenses.
      • Immigration: Moderate position on immigration - supports refugee and immigration programs.
      • Partisanship: From my perception, aligns with R party on Guns, Economy, and social issues. Moderate on Immigration, and has opposed off-shore drilling. Has co-sponsored multiple bills with Democrats.
    • Overall, he seems like a great guy. I see no red flags indicating he is an immoral or dishonest person. I like that he has a history of working with Democrats on some issues, and has a moderate view on others. He also has an instagram picture of himself skydiving. Points there.
  • Donna Deegan (D)
    • Former local news anchor. 3x Breast Cancer survivor & advocate. Catholic.
      • 3 key messages of campaign:
        • Health care is a human right
        • The climate crisis must be addressed
        • I believe in the 2nd amendment and common sense gun reform
      • Guns: Supports universal background checks, limiting high-capacity magazines, and disarming domestic abusers.
      • Economy: Believes a more fair tax system - increasing corporate and wealth taxes - will balance budget and support middle-class.
      • Social: Supports anti-discrimination protections for LGBT.
      • Environment: Believes in climate change and acting to protect our communities and slow the change.
      • Crime: Focus on reducing recidivism by funding community programs. Wants to build trust between law enforcement and communities of color.
      • Immigration: Moderate - supports border security, DREAMERS, humane treatment of detained immigrants.
      • Healthcare: Number one reason she's running. Believes in healthcare as a right. People shouldn't have to choose medicine over food.
      • Partisanship: Described extreme partisanship as one of the greatest challenges facing the nation. Supports term limits. Moderate stance on gun control and immigration.
    • It's harder to judge a candidate without any political track record. But I like her ideals and see no red flags.
  • Ultimately, on the issues that are most important to me right now - healthcare and a more fair tax system - Donna Deegan is clearly the candidate that aligns with my values.
  • My vote: Donna Deegan (D)

State Representative District 11

  • Cord Byrd (R)
    • Incumbent since 2016. Lawyer. Christian. Former Air Force. Married w/2 kids.
      • Sponsored bill banning sanctuary cities in FL.
      • Website description on the issues is BASIC. But list of endorsements is telling: NRA, Right to Life, Police, Fire Fighters, Chamber of Commerce, FL Medical Association
      • Trump supporter 
    • It's hard to learn about local candidates online. I didn't find anything sketchy though. Seems fine.
  • Joshua Hicks (D)
    • Local. Non-profit background. Married to Phillip, hoping to adopt first child soon. 4 dogs. Raised Catholic.
      • Why Running? "To seek common ground. We need to expand healthcare access, increase wages, protect our environment, promote equality, support the military and prevent gun violence."
        • Wants to work across partisanship to encourage compromise and action
      • Key Issues? Healthcare as a right. Advocate for middle and working class. Education.
        • Website has more detailed explanation on issues than Cord's. Believes in supporting small business, worker protections, climate action, investing in education, expanding healthcare, universal background checks for guns, pro-choice.
        • Notable Endorsements: Human Rights Campaign, Central Labor Council, Electrical Workers (IBEW), Moms Demand Gun Sense Action, Womens March, NOW, Equality FL, LGBT Victory Fund
  • I have a STRONG distaste for Trump and the NRA, both of which Cord Byrd has aligned with. And I have a soft spot for fellow nonprofit souls. And Josh has put a more visible effort into being available to voters in forums, and making his positions and plans more clear both on his website and through interviews and forums. I love his emphasis on finding common ground and compromise - that's what we need more of in politics. And his stances align more with my values. 
  • My vote: Joshua Hicks (D)

Duval County Clerk of Court 

  • Jody Phillips (R)
    • From highway construction to courthouse bailiff to Clerk COO.
    • Ran ads against opponent claiming he was a "corrupt closet liberal"
    • Experienced in management and with the court, as he already works there. Has established relationships.
    • Most pressing issue: Innovation, Partnerships, Fiscal Responsibility
    • Closed county courthouse to weddings.
    • Polarization (my take): His ads against his opposition are a huge turn off for me. Using polarization as a weapon only deepens divides. He says in the interview (comparison link) that the clerk should not have a political agenda, but his tactics express the exact opposite.
  • Jimmy Midyette (D)
    • Civil Rights Attorney. 
    • Most pressing issue: Accessibility, Voting Rights, Re-opening chapel
    • Polarization (my take): In this section, Jimmy emphasizes black lives matter, equal pay, and reducing discrimination. He also states that polarization has no place in the courts. However, his language definitely aligns with democratic party ideals.
  • Some positions, like this, I don't really understand why they are partisan in the first place. After reading what the clerk does, this seems even stranger. It's mostly an administrative role. The fact that I'm voting for 3 democrats already makes me want to vote for the republican (I despise straight ticket voting as a matter of principle). But then I think our court and justice systems in general are overdue for a shakeup, and new young blood is a way to do that (Jimmy). But for a non-partisan position like this, it makes the most sense to go with Jody, who has the existing relationships and organizational knowledge. But why did he close the courthouse chapel to weddings? It's a great low-cost and religion-neutral wedding choice for citizens. Also, I heard Jimmy speak at a rally, and he's very likable. Reluctantly, I've decided...
  • My vote: Jimmy Midyette (D)

Justice of the Supreme Court - Retain Judge?

  • Justice Carlos G. Muniz
    • UVA & Yale Law grad. Moved to FL to work for Jeb Bush's administration. Headed FL Republican Party.
    • "involved in the discussions with Bondi that led her to take no action on consumer complaints against Trump University"
    • "he represented Florida State University against a lawsuit brought by a student who accused quarterback Jameis Winston of raping her"
    • Worked for Trump admin as counsel for Dept of Edu.
    • Blocked 2 women from suing a church worker who abused them as children
    • Limited former felon voting rights
    • Rejected including a gun control measure on the ballot for voters to decide
  • His rulings and career show extreme partisanship. Extreme partisanship is tearing our nation apart. I vote no.
  • My vote: NO

District Court of Appeal - Retain Judge?

  • Judge Joseph Lewis Jr
    • Florida native. U of Minnesota Law grad. Nominated by Jeb Bush in 2000.
    • I didn't see anything about his rulings. But no red flags nor any news of scandals.
    • My vote: YES
  • Judge Scott Makar
    • His wife Nancy was an Olympic swimmer, and is also a lawyer and professor. Has a million degrees - multiple masters and doctorates. Taught at UF, UNF, and FSU. Appointed by Rick Scott in 2012.
    • Wrote in support of freedom of the press
    • My vote: YES
  • Judge Rachel Nordby
    • Florida Native. FSU Law. Appointed by DeSantis in 2019.
    • Ruled against smokable medical marijuana
    • No red flags. And the gov't needs more women involved, so...
    • My vote: YES
  • Judge Tim Osterhaus
    • UVA Law. Appointed by Rick Scott in 2013. Wife is a lawyer met as co-clerks.
    • Ruled in favor of 24 hour wait rule for abortions.
    • Personally, I'm a bit disturbed by how far right the FL court system leans, but if we didn't retain him, he'd be replaced by another conservative judge by DeSantis, who I dislike. So...
    • My vote: YES
  • Judge Clay Roberts
    • West Point, FSU Law. Appointed by Gov. Charlie Crist in 2007.
    • "Roberts was also instrumental in that department's decision to purge the voter rolls of convicted felons"
    • Attended "Friends of NRA" Fundraiser in 2017 under the title "Judge"
    • I started my career working with people leaving incarceration, and I believe they deserve the full rights of citizenship, including voting. I also despise the NRA. These biases are not okay with me.
    • My vote: NO
  • Judge Adam S. Tanenbaum
    • Florida Native. UF & Georgetown Law grad. Appointed by DeSantis in 2019. Professor at FSU Law.
    • Didn't see any articles about him - that's usually a good sign.
    • My vote: YES

Soil and Water Conservation - Group 2

  • John R Barnes
    • Appointed as Affiliate Member in 2016. Running to become full member. UF & UNF Grad. Involved in nonprofits.
  • Binod Kumar
    • Retired JEA Engineer. GA Tech & UNF Grad.
    • Emphasis - cleaning up St Johns River, Educating kids about conservation
    • Impressive Plans to address local environmental issues
    • Interview
  • John J Nooney
    • No information online
  • Matt Reimer
    • UNF Grad. Likes the outdoors.
  • My vote: Binod Kumar

Soil and Water Conservation - Group 4

  • La'Garall Bates
    • No information Online
  • Arthur Bides
    • UF Grad - Civil Engineering. Wastewater engineer. Marine & National Guard Vet.
    • Emphasis on building relationships and coordinating efforts
    • Volunteers with nonprofits
  • Ashantae Green
  • Carter Jones
    • Not much info online, but he does have a fb page. Activist since 14. Young guy.
  • My vote: Ashantae Green

Jacksonville Beach Mayor

  • Chris Hoffman
    • City Council Member. Grew up here. Director of Beaches Museum. UF Grad - Poli Sci & Criminology.
    • Has long been active in local community and nonprofit leadership
    • Main goal to have thriving downtown area - day and night
  • Jeanell Wilson
    • Former City Council Member. Long time resident and real estate business owner. Former School teacher. Chamber of Commerce Beaches Chair.
    • Main goal to keep taxes low and involve people in decisions
  • I'm thrilled to have two great choices for the first woman to be mayor of Jax Beach. It's a hard choice. I'm leaning toward Chris. Could change my mind.
  • My vote: Chris Hoffman?

Jacksonville Beach Seat 1 At-Large

(Interview)
  • Fernando Meza
    • Los Angeles born & raised. Joined Navy and moved to Jax after 9/11. UNF - Poli Sci. Local bar owner - The Wreck Tiki Lounge
      • Emphasis: Small businesses, Economic growth, and preserving community
      • Intends to vote no on most city amendments, arguing they limit accountability (Mayoral candidates were yes to all)
      • Affirms importance of acting to protect community from climate change
      • Suggests roundtable discussions to reduce polarization
  • Frances Povloski
    • Weston and I drove by a sign waving for this candidate, and one of the sign wavers may have been the happiest man I've ever seen (from her website, it may have been her husband? It was a quick drive by so not sure). Also she has a great logo. So before reading anything else, I have a positive opinion of her.
      • Vice Chair of JB Community Redevelopment Agency. Business owner in downtown beaches area.
      • Attended Citizens Police Academy and met with Mission house to better understand homelessness issues
      • Intends to vote no on most city amendments, arguing they limit accountability (Mayoral candidates were yes to all)
      • Acknowledges effects of climate change and encourages reducing carbon footprint and incentivizing green initiatives
  • Both great candidates, but after watching the Beaches Watch Candidate Forum, I liked Frances' approach and thinking slightly more than Fernando's.
  • My vote: Frances Povloski

Jacksonville Beach Seat 3 At-Large

  • Ken Marsh
    • Actively involved in community. Retired. Jax U MBA.
      • Website talks about connecting to citizens and developing partnerships
      • Detailed questionnaire and fine print show he has thought through approach to every issue
  • Chet Stokes
    • Young. Native. Auburn grad - Poli Sci. Runs his family's property management company and is manager at country club.
  • This is another difficult race. I usually like rooting for the younger candidates, but I liked the way Ken framed issues and solutions better than Chet.
  • My vote: Ken Marsh

FL Constitutional Amendments:

This article was super useful in explaining what the amendment means, and its pros/cons. It is the main resource I used to inform my voting choices.

No. 1 Constitutional Amendment Article VI, Section 2

Citizenship Requirement to Vote in Florida Elections
  • Semantics - non-citizens can't vote either way.
  • My vote: NO

No. 2 Constitutional Amendment Article X, Section 24

Raising Florida's Minimum Wage
  • Income Inequality, if allowed to continue to grow, will tear apart our country. People deserve living wages, and this is a small step in that direction. Especially post-covid, I think it will require a longer transition period, but waiting for an amendment with the perfect transition period risks the change being constantly delayed while people suffer.
  • My vote: YES

No. 3 Constitutional Amendment Article VI, Section 5

All Voters Vote in Primary Elections for State Legislature, Governor, Cabinet
  • This means you don't have to register as R/D to vote in primary. Everyone could vote in primaries, and the top 2 candidates move on to the November ballot, whether it's 1 R/1 D, or 2 Rs or 2 Ds. I'm sick of party politics, and am THRILLED by this amendment.
  • My vote: YES

No. 4 Constitutional Amendment Article XI, Sections 5 and 7

Voter Approval of Constitutional Amendments
  • This would require amendments to win a vote TWICE before implementation.
  • My vote: NO

No. 5 Constitutional Amendment Article VII, Section 4 and Article XII

Limitations on Homestead Property Tax Assessments; Increased portability period to transfer accrued benefit
  • This tax cut disproportionately benefits the wealthy, and has the potential to reduce education budgets.
  • My vote: NO

No. 6 Constitutional Amendment Article VII, Section 6 and Article XII

Ad Valorem Tax Discount for Spouses of Certain Deceased Veterans Who Had Permanent Combat-Related Disabilities
  • Allows a property tax benefit for Veterans to transfer to their spouse upon death, which will be valid until the property is sold.
  • This will mostly benefit women, and I like things that benefit women.
  • My vote: YES

Local Referendums

School District of Duval County, Florida Surtax Referendum

School Capital Outlay Sales Surtax to Improve Safety and the Learning Environment
  • This will increase county sales tax from 7% to 7.5% for 15 years to raise funds to update and renovate Duval schools.
  • On the one hand, generally taxes that expire don't actually go away, so functionally, this is probably a permanent increase. And why is this the best way to fund school improvements?
  • But also, I don't know if I can bring myself to say no to giving schools money, especially after the mess that is covid-era education.
  • My vote: YES

JEA Referendum

Amending Jacksonville Charter, Granting City Council Authority to Appoint and Remove Four JEA Board Members
  • This is pretty much asking - do we want the power to appoint JEA Board members to be held by the Mayor (vote no) or the City Council (vote yes)?
  • It makes more sense to me to have the power shared between multiple city council members, as the amendment suggests.
  • My vote: YES

Jacksonville Beach Referendum 1

Requiring a Supermajority Vote of Council to Remove City Manager and Removing Gender References
  • My comment before doing any research at all - WHY DOES REMOVING GENDER REFERENCES HAVE TO BE VOTED ON? And if there is some strange reason why, then WHY COMBINE IT WITH ANOTHER VOTE? What if I want to remove gender references but don't want to require a supermajority blah blah blah? I'm calling BS on that one.
  • This requires a supermajority instead of a simple majority to remove city manager. Replacing a city manager would obviously cause tedious delays to city projects and would thus incur costs. So it's obviously something that should be taken seriously. But also, if the people of Jax beach have major concerns, requiring only a simple majority makes it easier to hold the city manager accountable.
  • I'm going to be an optimist and assume that they'll remove gender references regardless of whether this pass.
  • My vote: NO

Jacksonville Beach Referendum 2

Requiring a Supermajority Vote of Council to Remove City Attorney and Providing Formal Notice Procedures
  • Same reasoning
  • My vote: NO

Jacksonville Beach Referendum 3

Establishing Procedures to Eliminate City Departments, Including Referenda to Eliminate Police and Beaches Energy Services
  • Apparently, a few years ago the beaches fire departments were merged without a vote, and citizens were upset. This requires such changes to be voted on before moving forward. I learned this from the candidate forum and the individual interviews by Beaches Watch.
  • My vote: YES

Jacksonville Beach Referendum 4

Prohibiting Interference with City Employee Duties Except For Purposes of Inquiry and Information
  • I don't really understand this one, even after reading candidates descriptions. There's not a clear description in the first few links I clicked online. But in general I think it's good to let people do their jobs with minimal interruption?
  • I guess on this one, I'll trust the city council who put it on the ballot.
  • My vote: YES

Now we are informed voters. Let's do this.


Until next time,

Kirsten

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why vote for Hillary?

I was recently asked why I decided to support Hillary Clinton this election. To note, I'll include a lot of links in this post, mostly to Wikipedia sites so you can get a basic overview of what I'm talking about, in case you're interested. And I'll also add a disclaimer: Look at the title of the freaking post, of course I'm biased toward her. But I try to be reasonable too. I'm among the age demographic that is by far least likely to vote, and many of my peers seem to care little about following politics/current events. So first of all, I want to address this: Why should I care about politics? I believe it’s super important to be politically informed for a number of reasons and through a number of lenses: 1. (As a person) It affects us!  Policies affect our taxes, schools, roads, and the public services available to us (among many other things). 2. (As an average, lower-middle class American) Smart, rich, powerful people (and mostly men) contr

Cutting the Cord

NOTE: This is from 2016, and options and prices have changed significantly. As well as TV watching habits both nationally and in our home. So while this could be a good general introductory guide, I'd suggest going other places for current options and prices. In case you missed it, "cutting the cord" refers to ending traditional cable/satellite tv services.  I've been researching different methods for a while, but I got really motivated to learn more when our DirecTV promotional offer ended a couple weeks ago, and our cable bill went from $55/month (I know, not cheap in the first place) to $95/month.  That's a ton of dough! Weston's initial reaction to my first dozen mentions of cutting the cord was basically, "No.  I need sports."  Other concerns included getting the channels/content we wanted, and DVR (we rarely watch live tv). So I hit the google to see what I could find.  First, I'll discuss content service alternatives, DVR,